Backstage with Rodney Cutler & Redken for Tadashi Shoji SS16
I’ve never been backstage before the show. So, when Redken/Cutler extended an invitation offer for me to join them backstage at Tadashi Shoji I couldn’t say no! I’ve always been so curious what it’s like.
I arrived an hour before the show started, after a 35 block walk in the rain/humid air, let’s just say it wasn’t one of my best hair moments. This turned out to be the worst place to have frizzy, uncurled hair because the models were just about prepping to get their hair done before the show. Trust me, I’ve never been more self-conscious about my hair.
I even ended up asking one of the stylists what would help salvage my hair from the humidity and his response was “Honey.. nothing” – GREAT.
With the help of Cutler/Redken, the girls hair transformed into a classic and effortless look with a sleek middle part tucked behind one ear.
I have been loving the middle part, and the long hair has made me nostalgic for my long hair.
Backstage is rather busy, with a lot of bored models, a lot of hair, and a lot of coffee. Yes, I probably had like 3 cups, but hey, it’s fashion week!
Lead Hair Stylist: Rodney Cutler for Cutler/Redken Salons
Inspiration: “Through our work together over the last eight years, we have developed a mutual understanding that a woman’s natural beauty is her best asset. With this in mind, I wanted to create a youthfully feminine feel, which combined with the strong cultural vision of the collection called for a healthy, simple hair look as smooth as the satin on the gowns. The chic, straight style we created matched with the sparkle under the model’s eyes completed a vision that was truly a pleasure to work on.” – Rodney Cutler, Lead Stylist
Want to get this look? Follow this hair Step-by-Step!
- Prep damp hair using a light mist of Redken Pillow Proof Blow Dry Express Primer. For dry of frizzy hair, apply Redken Frizz Dismiss FPF 20 Smooth Force Spray throughout the roots and shaft, instead.
- Next, apply Redken Full Frame 07 Protective Volumize Mousse (or Redken Guts 10 Spray Foam) if you have fine or flat hair) to the root area, and Redken Satinwear 02 Blow Dry Lotion from mid to ends of hair.
- Create a clean center part using the tip of a comb, and extending back.
- Blow dry the hair using a flat boar bristle brush, creating volume at the root and straight ends.
- Spray Fashion Work 12 Versatile Spray lightly on top of the head, and smooth any fly-aways. If need be, smooth over with a flat iron after finishing blow-drying.